I realized a while ago that I had never made a cheesecake. I love baking. I will make cookies, cakes, or cupcakes all day long. I love fruit based desserts, and I love love LOVE making things that seem complicated but aren’t. So how had I managed to live 25 years and not make a cheesecake?
I guess the short answer is that cheesecake scares me. I was always terrified that it would be overdone, and I think everyone can agree that overdone cheesecake is NOT delicious.
For Super Bowl weekend I decided to suck it up and make a cheesecake, so I made this one:
Triple Chocolate Cheesecake
1 plastic sleeve of chocolate graham crackers, crushed
2 teaspoons sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 pkgs. (4 oz. each) Baker’s German sweet chocolate, divided
2/3 c. Karo light or dark corn syrup
1/3 c. heavy cream
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 pkgs. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, cut in cubes
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2) Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter until well mixed. Press into bottom of 9 by 3 inch springform pan.
3) Melt 1 1/2 packages (6 ounces) chocolate.
4) Blend eggs, syrup, cream and vanilla in blender until smooth. With blender running, gradually add cream cheese; blend until smooth.
5) Blend in melted chocolate.
6) Pour into crust and bake in 325 degree oven for 45 minutes or until set (the middle should still be slightly jiggly).
7) Cool on rack. Cover, chill.
8) Before serving, melt remaining chocolate; drizzle on top.
There are several things I will do differently next time I make cheesecake. This recipe was good, but I will probably use a different one until I find a favorite. I also left mine in the oven a LITTLE too long, but everyone seemed to enjoy it, so it probably wasn’t as bad as I though.
I didn’t use a water bath this time, I know a lot of people use them when they bake cheesecake to prevent cracking. I just figured since this was my first cheesecake I would just bake it and see what happens. Next time I’ll use a water bath. The cheesecake did crack, but the chocolate was good for covering it up.
Now that I know that making cheesecake isn’t as scary as I thought it was, I will definitely make it more often. There is a recipe for a chocolate covered strawberry cheesecake I really want to try next. 🙂