I originally planned to make no-noodle crockpot lasagna today. I had frozen the leftover veggies from last time I made it, but something happened during the thaw out process that left the veggies less than pretty. I really need someone to teach me how to freeze things correctly, this isn’t the first time I’ve tried to freeze leftovers and had a bad outcome.
So, since the crockpot dinner wasn’t going to work, I had to wing it. I did have some lasagna noodles and decided to make some form of a spinach lasagna roll-up. I’ve never made them before, but I decided to throw some stuff together and see how it turned out.
Well, it turned out to be a pretty great meal.
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
23 oz. spaghetti sauce
2 c. shredded Italian cheese
5 oz of fresh baby spinach, washed and chopped
1/2 an onion, chopped
2 med. garlic cloves, chopped
15 oz Ricotta cheese
8 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
oregano and crushed red pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 350° F. Heat water in a large pot and cook pasta as directed on package.
2) Spoon half a cup of sauce into the bottom of a 12×8 inch baking dish. Set dish aside.
3) Heat olive oil in medium pan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until tender, stirring frequently. Add spinach and toss, allowing to wilt slightly.
4) In a large bowl, mix spinach/garlic/onion, ricotta cheese, salt, pepper, the egg, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, and 1 1/2 cups of the Italian cheese until fully combined.
5) Spoon about half a cup of the ricotta mixture down the middle of a noodle and roll up. Place noodles, seam side down, into baking dish.
6) Top roll-ups with remaining spaghetti sauce, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Top with remaining cheese, sprinkle with oregano and crushed red pepper, and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.